PEGI has five age categories.
- 3: Suitable for all ages . May contain minimal, mild violence in an appropriate context for younger children, but no explicit language is allowed.
- 7: Suitable for ages 7 and older. May contain mild, cartoon violence, sports, or elements that can be frightening to younger children.
- 12: Suitable for ages 12 and older. May contain normal violence in a fantasy setting, coarse language, mild sexual references or innuendo, or gambling.
- 16: Suitable for ages 16 and older. May contain explicit violence, strong language, sexual references or content, gambling, or drug use (encouragement).
- 18: Suitable for ages 18 and older. May contain graphic violence, including "violence towards defenseless people" and "multiple, motiveless killing", strong language, strong sexual content, gambling, drug use (glamorisation), or discrimination. No one 18.
The current design was introduced at the end of 2009. Black and white icons were used until June 2009, when the colour-coded PEGI icons were announced, with green for 3 and 7, orange for 12 and 16 and red for 18. Plus signs were removed from the icons. That design was slightly altered at the end of 2009, by removing the watermark and locking the URL bar underneath the age rating icon. Reprinted games from 2009 or before still mostly display the old designs.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found